Roof Cleaning in Greater Boston & MetroWest
Extend the life of your roof with routine roof cleaning.
As many as 50% of homeowners choose to replace their roof because of cosmetic repairs alone. A roof cleaning costs a fraction of the cost at 3–5% of an actual strip and re-shingle job. Roof cleaning is much more affordable than most people think. At O’LYN Roofing roofing we provide our customers with the option of roof cleaning as an alternative and to protect roofs from deterioration caused by organic elements. Our roof cleaning services are performed by trained technicians using professional grade equipment and cleaners that are specifically designed for cleaning roofs. We use a low pressure wash that is environmentally safe to ensure that your shingles are not damaged during the cleaning process.
- Free Estimate and educational brochures
- Removal of algae, moss, and lichen
- Use of an environmentally friendly and non-toxic wash
- Low pressure soft wash treatment to ensure shingles are not damaged
- Roof cleaning is be fully insured
- Two year job guarantee
- Installation of zinc or copper strips
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is an example of Gloeocapsa magma, a type of algae that causes decay to your roof.
What is that black streak on my roof?
The black stain on your roof is likely Gloeocapsa magma; it’s a type of cyanobacteria that is made up of tiny algae spores. Not only does it look ugly, this type of cyanobacteria causes damage to shingles creating decay and loss of reflective power. Gloeocapsa magma feeds off the limestone granules in most asphalt shingles. If left untreated, this will cause water leakage and structural failure of the shingles.
Why should I clean my roof?
Having your roof cleaned can prevent structural damage to your home.
- Prevent and Stop Structural Damage. Many types of algae, lichen, and bacteria feed off of organic material in your shingles. This causes an acceleration of shingle deterioration that may also lead to other problems such as rot on your roof deck.
- Mold Growth. Once organic growth begins to multiply in the humid and dark areas underneath your shingles and onto your roof deck, your home becomes at risk for mold. Certain types of mold can pose health risks. Read more about Mold Growth
- At Risk for Canceled Homeowners Policy. You are at risk of losing your homeowners insurance based on the condition of your roof. Even if the growth poses no immediate structural deterioration, insurance companies do not wish to see other claims rise as a result of improper maintenance.
- Save Energy Costs. With enough organic growth, your roof will not be able to effectively reflect sunlight. The organic-covered shingles will begin to absorb heat which will increase the temperature of your attic and increase your energy bill.
- Cost-Effective. Many homeowners choose to unnecessarily replace their roof rather than deal with ugly stains on their roof. The cost of a typical roof cleaning is 3–5 percent of the cost of an actual roof replacement. As long as there is no structural damage to shingles, there is no reason to replace your roof over a roof cleaning.
- Appraisal Value. Ugly growth on your roof will have a negative impact on the value of your home. If you are looking to sell or refinance consider a roof cleaning.
At O’LYN Roofing, we use specialized, eco-friendly roof cleaning products.
What does O’LYN Roofing spray on my roof?
O’LYN Roofing roofing use a safe cleaning solution that does not use bleach and is safe for pets, kids, and plants. The special solution is applied to your roof using a low pressure spray nozzle under 400 psi. This ensures that the wash will not damage granules on your shingles.
How is the price of a roof clean determined?
The cost is by the square foot. Due to costs of sending a crew and truck out for the day we have a minimum cost associated with the job. O’LYN Roofing will sends a roofing technician out to your home for a Free Estimate. We will inspect your entire roof and diagnose exactly what the growth is and how to treat it. Typically, it is not necessary to clean your entire roof. Only “problem areas” will be treated and optional preventative measures will be installed to keep your roof clean for a guaranteed minimum of two years.
I found a company with a lower price. Why are you more expensive?
- Insurance. O’LYN Roofing ensures that each job is fully insured in order to shield you, the homeowner, from any liability. The state of Massachusetts does not require contractors to carry liability insurance. However, if an accident were to occur on your property, you could potentially be liable for any damages and injury. Sometimes these claims would not be covered by your homeowner’s insurance. We carry two million in general liability insurance as well state-mandated worker’s compensation insurance. If a company gives a much lower quote, then you should ask to see proof of liability insurance for roof cleaning.
- Quality. We also use top of the line equipment for roof cleaning. Our system is custom made to delivery and spray the cleaning solution onto the roof.
- Guarantee. We guarantee that in the unlikely event that growth returns within two years, we will come free of charge and clean your roof again. The two year guarantee is among the best in the roof cleaning business.
- Zinc Strips. With each roof cleaning we offer our customers the option of zinc strips. The strips are installed at the ridges of your roof and after a rainfall the zinc will run down the roof creating a protective layer against algae, moss, and lichen. The zinc strips will not oxidize for twenty years and will provide long lasting protection against organic growth.
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.